There are many health and beauty coconut oil uses. It’s great because it can allow you to reduce the number of chemical filled products you use such as store bought lotions, hair products, mouthwash, and make up remover.
- Body Moisturizer. Toss out your store bought lotion and use coconut oil instead. Store bought lotions are full of mineral oil, a cheap by product of gasoline which is used as a filler in lotions. Coconut oil is better because it’s all natural and will moisturize and soothe dry skin because of it’s omega fatty acids.
- Wood Polish. Use coconut oil to polish your wood instead chemical filled aerosol sprays. It will leave your wood surfaces smooth and conditioned.
- Dog’s dry skin remedy. Coconut oil is good for dog’s too! Give your dog 1 teaspoon either by freezing it in an ice cube tray, or mixing it with his dog food.
- Hair anti-frizz fighter. Coconut oil is one of the only oils where it’s molecules are small enough to penetrate the hair shaft. Because of this, the oil can moisturize your hair deeply for amazing results. To quickly tame fly away hairs, apply a dab in your hands and rub on your ends and up the hair shaft. For a deep conditioning treatment, apply 2-4 tablespoons melted coconut oil to all of your hair and scalp. Let sit for at least 1 hour and shampoo as normal.
- Lip balm. Rub coconut oil on your lips for a light boost of moisture. As an added bonus, coconut oil has a SPF of 4-6. If you want more heavy duty moisture, apply shea butter on your lips after applying the coconut oil.
- Freshen your breath. Swish 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 1-5 minutes and spit out. The oil has antibacterial properties that will remove the bacteria from your mouth. You can also add a drop of peppermint essential oil to add a minty taste. For more information, visit my oil pulling guide.
- Use as a toothpaste. Mix 1 teaspoon coconut oil with 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to make homemade toothpaste. You’ll save money, clean your mouth and avoid nasty chemicals found in many store bought toothpastes such as SLS(sodium lauryl sulfate) and fluoride.
- Weight loss. Instead of cooking with butter or other oils, coconut oil is made of medium chain fatty acids which get metabolized by the body faster, rather than get stored as fat. Coconut oil tastes great and has high heat resistance.
- Make up remover. Apply coconut oil to a q-tip to remove make up while moisturizing your skin!
- Ease Constipation. Swallow 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil on an empty stomach.
- Hair growth. Turn your head upside down while sitting on a chair for 4 minutes and massage your scalp with coconut oil. This is will stimulate the hair follicles. Do this for 7-14 days and you should see more hair growth.
Also visit my post about clarifying apple cider vinegar hair rinse.